Steganography applications conceal information in other, seemingly innocent media. Steganographic results may masquerade as other file for data types, be concealed within various media, or even hidden in network traffic or disk space. We are only limited by our imagination in the many ways information and data can be exploited to conceal additional information.
NOTICE: Some of the programs listed here contain strong encryption components, and the export of them from the US is restricted by the EAR regulations. In order to avoid violating these restrictions, the application are NOT hosted on this site. Binaries are not linked from this page - please refrain from linking directly to binary files for download when adding new tools.
Information Hiding: Steganography and Digital Watermarking by Neil F. Johnson
Guillermito classifications: (Ideas)
1. Adding data at the end of the carrier file (example: Camouflage, JpegX, SecurEngine for JPG, Safe&Quick Hide Files 2002, Steganography 1.50).
2. Inserting data in some junk or comment field in the header of the file structure (example: Invisible Secrets 2002 for JPG and PNG, Steganozorus for JPG).
3. Embedding data in the carrier byte stream, in a linear, sequential and fixed way (example: InPlainView, InThePicture, Invisible Secrets 2002 for BMP, ImageHide, JSteg).
4. Embedding data in the carrier byte stream, in a pseudo-random way depending on a password (CryptArkan, BMPSecrets, Steganos for BMP, TheThirdEye, JPHide).
5. Embedding data in the carrier byte stream, in a pseudo-random way depending on a password, and changing other bits of the carrier file to compensate for the modifications induced by the hidden data, to avoid modifying statistical properties of the carrier file (example: Outguess, F5).
Detecting Steganography: Stego Suite
Why Bother About BIOS Security? SANS InfoSec Whitepaper
OTP Vernam cipher
Cipher Machine Downloads
Metasploit Framework (Antiforensics):